Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Comfort

This weekend has been, chaotically busy. First off, my brother-in-law had a wrestling tournament on Saturday-- and he took third place in his weight class!! My sister-in-law had a basketball scrimmage too, though I had to miss that. ((My husband has a big family; an older sister, a 22-year-old sister, 20?-year-old twin sisters, 17-year-old brother, 15-year-old brother, 11-year-old sister and an 8-year-old sister-- only the 4 youngest live with his parents))

Well, in the midst of all the craziness and my 3 kids, my daughter got ahold of some medicine and I spent all of Sunday morning in the ER and the rest of Sunday and most of Monday in the PICU with her. I'll be honest, it was scary. But the one thing that got me through it all was God's presence. I knew he was with me every single step of the way. He was with me, holding my hand and comforting and he was with her, healing her little body. 

Psalms 119:76a "Let your steadfast love comfort me..." ESV

     While in the hospital, the "life-services-volunteers" brought her some toys she could take home and Nana brought her a pretty coloring book and crayons and a favorite 'stuffy' from home (Junior Asparagus from Veggie Tales). The most moving (tangible) thing that we received though was a handmade blanket from "Project Linus". Knowing how much effort, care and love goes into a handmade blanket it was so touching to say the least. I cried when they brought it in and told me about it. I have received handmade things from the maternity ward when I had each of my kids, but something about being in PICU made it all the more important. So, in light of recent events, my first project will be a blanket to donate back to Project Linus! I know it will take me a while-- I am not the world's fastest crocheter, but it'll be done soon!! If you're interested in donating to Project Linus, you can check out their website and find your local chapter: www.projectlinus.org 

     In the meantime, here is a recipe for some Chicken Taquitos I made tonight. They were a big hit! Sorry, no pictures this time, I'll get the hang of it for next time hopefully!!

Chicken Taquitos
2 cups   chicken
1/2-cup   fresh cilantro
1/2-cup   chopped onion
1/2-cup   salsa
2-tsp   ground cumin
3/4-tsp   salt
Juice of a fresh lime
Jalapeno, to taste
1-cup grated cheese
24 corn tortillas
Cooking Spray 
Sour cream and salsa for serving

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a food processor; pulse until combined.

Next, fold in the cheese.

Warm the tortillas (batches of 8-10 at a time) in the microwave, between two wet paper towels.

Fill each tortilla with 2-heaping-tablespoons of filling and tightly roll. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet (lined with foil for a super quick cleanup!) Keep the tortillas wrapped in the paper towel as you roll each one. 

When they are all rolled, grease the tops. Bake at a 375* oven for about 20 minutes or until crunchy. Serve with sour cream and salsa. 


I used leftover chicken and it turned out wonderfully! Welp, it is late and it is definitely time for this mama to hit the haystack! Happy crafting!

-MamaKay

No comments:

Post a Comment